Wednesday, October 14, 2009

The Comfort Zone

               It’s been quite some time since my last post. There are certain issues that need sorting out. I’d like to make it clear that we are not at a complete standstill when it comes to Nanda ma’am. I met her again on the 13th at her home. Her mother and Nilesh were also present. There was some clear evidence of how her formal and not-so-comfortable behavior in my presence was beginning to die down. To explain this I guess I need to rewind the story by a few days and play it out for all the readers. After we had planned a visit to Nilesh’s school (which never materialized) all communication stopped once again for a couple of days. Since a lot of all this is an exercise in making both Nanda ma’am and Nilesh understand that nothing in life comes for free, and that they need to give, in order to get, I decided not to call them and wait for her to call. She needed to show some interest.

            That call never really came. She did however, talk to Roabin, after which I gave her a call. Our conversations from here on took on a lighter tone. There was a lot more laughing and giggling. She had this epiphany of sorts that she could make jokes and take jabs at both Roabin and me and fear no admonishment - it would all be taken in good humor. And hence she started having fun with her conversations.  We rescheduled a visit and I went to her home to meet her and her ailing mother. I still remember how during my first visit Nanda ma’am refused to sit at the same level I was sitting at, despite my insistence, and chose to sit on the floor instead. This time around, her mother (who met me for the first time) behaved in a similar manner, but Nanda ma'am didn’t. She didn’t mind sitting at the same level. Now, to my eyes that's a step in the forward direction!!

No comments:

Post a Comment