Thursday, October 22, 2009

A Gesture Reciprocated

                    I wasn’t able to meet Nanda ma’am and Nilesh for Diwali, but I made it a point to meet them the day before i.e. on Friday. A lot of thought went into what I was going to do when I met them. I had been thinking about giving them a gift for Diwali, but like I mentioned in my previous post, I was afraid it would be misconstrued as an act of charity. (It is necessary for them to understand that no charity is involved here, that to get they must give in return). Finally, I took the decision of buying her some sweets and giving her some photos of Nilesh that we had captured about a month ago. My justification for that decision was that I would make it clear that this was just a nice gesture for Diwali. On my way to Nilesh’s home, Roabin sent me a an SMS which said that Nanda ma’am had given him a call sounding very excited about my visit (I got the feeling that she was sure I was going to gift them something). This led to a sinking feeling and the big question --- HAD I TAKEN THE CORRECT DECISION?? But then, since the sweets had been bought and the photos developed, I saw no point in turning back. I decided to go ahead and trust the decision I had taken previously.

                    Having reached their home Nilesh was all too pleased to receive the sweets and photos (I would be lying if I said I didn’t get a little worried at this point). However the visit went well. They loved the photos. And Nanda ma’am gave me a set of bangles, which she got blessed from a temple, for my mother. I was wowed and quite pleased at the gesture since I didn’t expect anything of this. My worries went floating away (at least for now)…

Note: I didn’t think those bangles would suit my Mother or that she would wear them. She’s had them on for about a week now and proven me wrong…

No comments:

Post a Comment